Skip to main content

Remote Oil Filter Mount

The standard oil filter location cannot be used due to lack of space so I purchased a remote oil filter kit and then needed to find a location for the remote filter mount. The kit came with a M20x1.5 thread (the factory Starlet Z386 oil filter has a 3/4" UNF thread) so I went to my local auto store and hunted through their selection of filters until I found a one with a M20 thread and was a similar size to the Starlet filter. The Z411 filter (used by various Ford, Mazda & Mitsubishi engines) is the same diameter as the Z386 but ~15% taller.

The remote oil filter kit I purchased also has the advantage of being able to plumb in two sensors (in the position of the two blanking nuts in this photo) which I will use for an oil temperature thermocouple and an oil pressure gauge.

Other builds I've seen have mounted the oil filter in the wheel well above the drivers wheel, however I chose to make a bracket for the oil filter above the upper engine mount so that the sensor inlets are faced towards the rear to allow for an easy and short run through the firewall. The bracket is made of thicker 4mm steel plate (75mm wide) to try and prevent any twisting when fitting or removing the filter. After fitting the mount and filter, I did find that with the extra height of the Z411 filter, that it was a bit tricky to get off so I sourced a 3/4-16 thread for the kit so I could still use the standard Z386 filter.



Comments